Ed and Helen Reaver Family Media Center
A longtime goal for the Mother Seton School community was to integrate the existing library, built in 1965 as part of the original building, with the computer lab to create a modern, versatile media center. Thanks to the generosity and hard work of our students, families, and benefactors, we are pleased to announce the official opening of the new Ed and Helen Reaver Family Media Center on February 3, 2023.
The Ed and Helen Reaver Family Media Center is the heart of Mother Seton School. It is staffed full-time and houses our library of 11,000 books and 30 audiobooks; digital resources for student learning, such as devices for 1:1 computing; technology for presentations and screenings; and five high-powered computers for activities to develop digital citizenship. Teachers use the resources in the media center to enhance their lesson plans and provide an interactive element to curricula.
In addition to reading enrichment, research and study skills are a core component of learning in the Media Center and are aided by access to various technological resources. Advanced Technology instruction is provided beginning in early primary and continues through eighth grade.
The media center complements all aspects of student learning. It is fundamental in providing opportunities to acquire and practice the lifelong skills and abilities to be an informed and responsible information-literate member of society.
The mission of The Ed and Helen Reaver Family Media Center is to inspire a lifelong love of learning by:
- Promoting literacy through access to a wide range of curated book options
- Offering book club options for intermediate and middle school grades and holding read-aloud storytime for students in younger grades
- Enhancing student collaboration
- Allowing students access to and support for a variety of digital resources, such as LEGO® Robotics, coding programs, and 3D printing
- Providing a spacious gathering space for our clubs and activities, including our Cyberpatriots Cyber Security club, and for our staff, faculty, and parent meetings
Mother Seton School would like to thank all who made this project possible, especially:
The Ed and Helen Reaver Family
The Knott Foundation
The Delaplaine Foundation
Our students and families for their Penny Power donations toward the Media Center